Friday, July 18, 2008

Standing Tall with Roosevelt!

Look at how strong I am now! I can stand up and walk around a lot more. I'm so proud of myself. I've certainly come a long way since I first entered rescue. Thanks to my determination and the hard work of my BTRGH rescuers, I've become a very alert and active boy.

I've overheard my foster mom and her friends talking about me and how great I'm doing. I think they were bragging a little, but it's OK. After what they've done for me, they've earned the right to brag about my accomplishments!

Did I mention that I have a best friend now? His name is Apollo and he's a Boston Terrier just like me. We played together when I had my hydrotherapy session. I like him because when he sees me, he sees a regular dog and he just wants to play. It never occurs to him that I'm a little different. I think that's because he sees the "real" me. That makes me feel good about myself!

I know I'm still just a puppy, but I think it all boils down to what you've got inside of you. In the end, that's really what counts! My back legs might be weak, but my strong spirit makes up the difference . . . and then some! I hope that everyone who doubted me gets to see what a great dog I am. I hope they get to see that the "poor crippled puppy" who was left at a shelter a few months ago has become a strong, happy, and confident boy. I don't want to make them feel bad, I just want them to realize that there was greatness inside of me all along. I want them to understand that the real defect wasn't in my back legs, but in their own inability to recognize the strength of my spirit. Maybe if they see how much I've changed they'll understand. And then if they're ever in a similar situation, they won't count someone out just based on appearances.

1 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

Re, "I like him because when he sees me, he sees a regular dog and he just wants to play. It never occurs to him that I'm a little different. I think that's because he sees the "real" me. That makes me feel good about myself!"

I love that. Roosevelt, and his surrogate mommy, "get it"! :-)